Introduction

Greetings! My name is Becky Schwartz. I teach Earth Science and, after a 7-year hiatus, Biology at Lisle High School and I also serve as the 6-12 Science Department Head for District 202. I have been a science teacher for 17 years. I received my B.S. in Biology from Northeastern Illinois University and received my M.A.T. from Dominican University. I also moderate the Ecology Club and National Honor Society.

I was born and raised in Chicago but live in the western suburbs. I have two kids, Liam (12) and Nora (9) and our dog Juno! My hobbies include hiking, biking, camping, reading, gardening, cooking, photography, and scrapbooking. I'm also an avid sports fan of many Chicagoland teams.

I have all but completed this educational technology endorsement program and will finish this summer with EEND 680. I teach in a 1:1 building and I'm looking to expand my repertoire of assessments, educational technology tools and use of multimedia for science.

STEM is a large part of our district's science curriculum, so incorporating and using technology is an integral, daily part of my lessons. I am very much a risk-taker when it comes to technology. I'm always looking to use new ideas in class and share technology success stories with my school colleagues. I get many ideas from colleagues on Twitter and email listserves. I'm looking forward to adding/enhancing my edtech repertoire and add to my PLN as I get to know all of you!

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Becky!

    Even though we work together at Lisle, I feel like I don't get to talk to you about what tech tools you are using in your classroom. I do know that you are much more skilled in your tech toolbox repertoire and that I need to take your advice and "let go of the fear of failure, anyone can use technology successfully in their classroom." I am excited to collaborate with you in class and to learn with and from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    Although we have worked together for many years, I still earned a lot about you from your blog that I previously did not know! I am completely intimidated by technology and feel like a immigrant in the technological world! I am glad to know I can come to you as a resource! I look forward to working more closely with you this year!!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky,
    Glad that we have some new faces in the cohort! Sounds like you have some great opportunities to incorporate tech in your teaching. At first I have to admit that I was a bit worried about how I would be able to incorporate all of the ideas out there, but you're right...it's very important to take risks and so important for the kiddos to see that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Our district is rolling out a new science curriculum, would love to hear how high school students use different tech tools within their learning. At the elementary level I am always seeking new ways to weave technology into our daily lessons with loosing the face-to face time students need with peers, teaches and actual materials to help them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Becky!

    I am so glad to be spending another class together. I feel I get the most out of a course when I participate with my colleagues. I continue to learn so much from you and these courses! Thanks for being such a good classmate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky,

    I think it is great that you like to take risks with technology. It looks like you've really dove right into new topics in this cohort and using the 1:1 in a fantastic way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky! Excited to continue this technology cohort with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there. I am envious of your blog Becky! I enjoyed reading about your experience at ISTE 2018. Also thanks for the tip on the Tech Rabbi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to almost being done!! I hope this class sends you off with a bang. :) I am off to ISTE 2019 in a few weeks, I hope to get as many take aways I did when it is in Chicago. One thing I can guarantee... I will be having a Cheesesteak.

    ReplyDelete