713 Artifact Reflection

As I reflect on the class, Engaging e-Learning, I am excited to think of the new opportunities for organizing my curriculum and presenting it to my students. This course provided many useful tools and resources that enhance my science curriculum and support my goal of incorporating more technology into my units. Working on the unit plan for the muscular system helped me to see which parts of the unit were supported and where gaps existed. By adding multimedia and open educational resources, the gaps were filled and the unit was more robust.

https://pixabay.com
In module 4, I learned how to research and incorporate OERs (open educational resources). I have found "free" resources in the past and have used them as extension activities for a lesson or unit, but I didn't really comprehend until this course, just how many great OERs there are. For the muscular system unit, I chose a case study through http://www.oercommons.org titled Wearing on Her Nerves Exploring the Interrelation between the Nervous and Muscular Systems. To facilitate their learning, students will be asked to analyze this case study related to their study of the muscular system. Most of my high school anatomy students plan to major in pre-med/dent/vet/nursing. Continual exposure and review of muscle content is a must for success in a post-secondary program. A case study like this would lend itself to the type of learning they would get in college. The more I can prepare students for real-world scenarios, the more successful I hope they will be.

In module 5, I learned how to use Pear Deck as part of a multimedia lesson for muscle identification. Having Pear Deck as an add-on for Google Slides really convinced me of its usefulness in class. It raised the level of student engagement and I found better retention of muscle groups as demonstrated by their performance on a formative muscle review several days later.


Labeling diagrams can be tedious, but in an advanced elective class such as Anatomy & Physiology,  students require constant review of muscle names, while connecting origin and insertion points on bones. This activity certainly challenges the student - if they can label muscles in this activity, they are on their way to successfully mastering the muscular system.


No comments:

Post a Comment