677 Artifact Reflection #2

In Module 4, I used Flippity to create a scavenger hunt related to the 1930s Dust Bowl which was a central theme for my high school Earth Science sustainable farming unit. Flippity works with coded spreadsheets to present information in a fun and engaging way. Take a look at the scavenger hunt I created!

Image source
I did enjoy developing this activity for my students. It's not necessarily easy to set up--there's definitely a learning curve for some of the activities that Flippity offers. But with some trial and error, you get a finished product that you can be proud of. I would encourage anyone looking for something different to use in their classroom to try it! All the activities on Flippity can be used for any K-12 group of students. I was impressed that the scavenger hunt allowed you to add multimedia including images, youtube videos, links to websites, google docs and some fun math functions including EquatIO equations and Desmos. Besides the scavenger hunt, I feel these are the most useful for a high school teacher or student to use: flashcards, quiz show, timeline, badge tracker, and the progress indicator. Many of the other functions are useful too, it's just a matter of exploring and testing what Flippity has to offer.

Image source
Playing "games" in class to review concepts is nothing new. I remember creating Jeopardy! review games using the old fashioned power point platform in my early years of teaching. Lately, the buzz word for educational technology enthusiasts is gamification. There's lots more to gamification than just playing Jeopardy!; they way technology has seeped into education has allowed teachers to bring many fun learning activities into the classroom. Educational platforms like Flippity help achieve this and I encourage you to try it out!

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection! Isn't Flippity like...the bomb?! Your kids are going to be thrilled that you have learned so much :)

    ReplyDelete